thru Potter to DWJ

Neil Ward neilward at dircon.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 15:50:50 EDT 2000

Tanaqui wrote:

>See, incensed fans? Putting labels on shelves of Potter saying "If you like
>these, try DWJ" is not an insult to DWJ, but a chance to recruit <giggle>.

*******

And now I say:

Thanks Tanaqui!  I thought your comments on Harry Potter IV were interesting
and I even agree with you to some extent (especially the comment on 'racism
- those national caricatures were a bit "Scooby Doo"), but I still loved it
to bits.  There was something very comforting about the formulaic style,
code-laden plots and cartoon like cast.

DWJ has a different feel on the basis of the Chrestomanci books and the
first fifth of "Fire & Hemlock" (that's where I am now).  On the face of it,
she has greater depth as a writer and is mysterious rather than simply a
setter of puzzles. I get a sense of other-wordliness from DWJ, which I don't
get from JK Rowling - in her books it's just 'another world', albeit magnetic.

If this sounds like a criticism of Harry Potter it isn't.  I adore the
Pantomime element of Harry Potter (I can almost see the players coming
onstage at the end in pairs and bowing, before dividing into groups on
either side of the stage).  Also, we can only imagine what JK Rowling might
produce after completing Harry Potter. She may develop strangely or never
write again!

Hmmmm.  I'll come back to you when I've read a bit more DWJ.

Neil

Neil Ward