Nostalgia was re A new member/can you recomend a DWJ book

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 12 15:18:35 EDT 2000

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Ven wrote:

> However there was a sea change in wriitng for children and young
> adults that occurred in the seventies (in line with a lot of other
> social change). My Dad's a teacher so I used to read his TES. I
> remember articles on this new trend (from the States?) of writing
> about the real lives of real children. Judy Blume came into this a
> lot. A little later on came the ideas about positive role models for
> girls and the introduction of positive minority characters.
> It was not long before even the pony books were doing it!

I was a teenager at the time, and I positively hated all those
"problem books" that were being thrown at me by parents, teachers,
the media, in fact everybody except the school librarian who
understood me and gave me _The Weirdstone of Bringisamen_ and _The
Spellcoats_. (She also encouraged me to do a Tolkien exhibition in
the library in my fifth year, instead of doing English; I didn't have
to attend any English classes that year as long as I consistently
scored 80% or more on tests)

It seems to have abated; at least what my kids are reading is no
longer *that* politically correct, though some books for toddlers
still pointedly have the mother go out to work and the father doing
the washing-up. Not that I mind working mothers and housekeeping
fathers in a children's book - after all, they exist in real life,
just like the other way around - but having the traditional gender
roles reversed in *every* book begins to smell suspicious after a
while.

   Irina