hebrew alphabet

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Wed Jul 12 14:03:10 EDT 2000

My two penn'orth on school years: at the age of 11 (XI), I was in Year III. I
then progressed one per year through Lower IV, Upper IV, Lower V, Upper V,
Lower VI and Upper VI.  It always bothered me that the secondary school
entrance year was a whole III, with no Upper and Lower.

Gili:
+ grades are numbered in Hebrew  letters, so you don't say first grade, you say
+ grade Aleph, and on up through the *alphabet*, not numbers.

My Sony videotapes are labelled Aleph, Beth, Gimel, Daleth, He, Vau ("Tanaqui,
why is this tape labelled 'He'? Is there a 'She'?) - and all my BBC tapes are
labelled with geographical bits of Dalemark ('Pass me Dropthwaite').

Since tapes labelled "Timewatch: Tomb 55, Egypt" would always end up being
"The Pillow Book" or similar, I decided to make the labels arbitrary and
keep paper slips in photo albums listing what was really on the tapes.

Tanaqui