dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #185

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Wed Jul 12 10:32:56 EDT 2000

    "After the tenth letter you don't go on the the
    eleventh, but count ten plus one, so the eleventh letter actually represents 20. Now I've gone and confused you all...)"

    Ah, I think I see. We do the same thing, really, counting 1 - 9 and then having 10 which is 1 and 0. 11 is 1 and 1, 12 is 1 and 2.  So we could express out numbers like this-

    one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, one-and-zero, one-and-one, one-and-two, one-and-three etc... only I suppose that makes 20 "two-and-zero" which doesn't fit Gili's series.

    Darn.

    Sallyo.