dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #185

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 12 10:00:42 EDT 2000

In Israel there used to be some kind of numbering system that started in the
fifth grade, so that twelfth graders before graduation are still sometimes
referred to as "in the eighth". Oddly I've only ever heard this applied to
the upper grades - grade 12 is eighth, 11 is seventh, 10 is sixth - but I've
never heard anyone call grade 6 second!

This is less confusing than it sounds because grades are numbered in Hebrew
letters, so you don't say first grade, you say grade Aleph, and on up
through the *alphabet*, not numbers. (Though actually they are numbers.
They're a counting system. After the tenth letter you don't go on the the
eleventh, but count ten plus one, so the eleventh letter actually represents
20. Now I've gone and confused you all...)

Gili