(Fwd) Re: Luke and Astrid

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Wed Jul 12 09:12:28 EDT 2000

Sally, quoting Ven:

>>I've just found a reference to David's class "fighting 3B". If he was a
>>third year too he would be fourteen, perhaps going on fifteen, which
>>surprises me.
>
> If a young Australian kid read that, s/he would assume David was 8 or so! We
> call our school grades after their years -
>
> Kinder, Prep, Year 1 (or Grade 1), Year 2 etc. The "B" or "C" qualifier
> comes from the teacher's surname initial.
>
> Thus my son, at 8, was in 3W  and my daughter, at 10, was in 5/6M
> (composite class).

English boarding schools are notoriously individualistic in their class
numbering.  And all schools are unpredictable in how they designate classes
within a year.

The school where I obtained most of my secondary education had two years for the
5th form (lower 5th and upper 5th) and a "remove" between fourth and fifth
forms.  So I was in class 3B when my 12th birthday happened.

Not that this proves much - the junior school attached to my school simply
numbered its years 1 to 4, so my brother had his 10th birthday just after
finishing the 3rd form there.

(In case you're working back and wondering why he wasn't in the 1st form of the
senior part of the school, the senior school actually _started_ with the 3rd
form...)

We labelled classes within the year (say) 3A 3B and 3C.  At the previous school
I attended, we numbered them 1.1, 1.2, all the way up to 1.7, while the
equivalent school on the other side of the town called them 1M, 1E, 1N, 1D, 1I
and 1P, spelling the name of the range of hills just northwest of us.  It seems
Larwood House (or do I mean Portway Oaks?) numbers them 1X 1Y and 1Z.  And so
on....

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.