Linotype Fonts (was: Re: Censorship)

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Tue Jul 11 13:14:52 EDT 2000

Hallie, quoting me:

>>IIRC, early Puffin DWJ tended to be in Juliana.  Cart and Cwidder I think was;
>>or you could try Wilkins' Tooth.  I also have some Nicholas Fisk in Puffin,
>>using that font.
>
> That was particularly dim of me.  I checked Wilkins' Tooth (which isn't),
> but totally forgot Cart and Cwidder, which sits in a bookcase right beside
> the computer (and is).  There's something about that copy of C&C which
> feels so flimsy and cheap compared to other Puffins of that vintage, that I
> really dislike it.
>
> Now that I've seen it, I've realized that you lot seem to possess a
> discrimination I lack.  I would certainly never have noticed anything about
> this font as a child.

I'll admit that as a child, all I noticed were the square full stops and dots
for i's.  However, I have come to like it more since I became interested in that
sort of thing.

Interestingly enough, my copy of the Earthsea books (Penguin, three in one
volume) is set in Juliana.  I did, however, see a Puffin "Tombs of Atuan" in the
bookshop on Friday, in Pilgrim.  I don't know Pilgrim enough to say whether I
like it better, but I miss the square dots...

Anyway, neither Pilgrim nor Juliana appears in the font library on the Linotype
website that I could see, unfortunately.

Finally, I'm reading Fisk's "The Space Hostages" at the moment, in Puffin.  Text
in Juliana, chapter headings in a Swiss Roman family font (Helvetica, Univers,
Arial...)  _Very_ strange juxtaposition...

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)24 76 424000