A new member/Can you recommend a DWJ book?

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Tue Jul 11 13:02:50 EDT 2000

Following problems with our service, a load of DWJ list e-mails from the last
week or more arrived on Monday, or thereabouts.  So I expect I'll be writing
several short replies this evening...

Hallie first, welcoming Neil:

> favourite (most days, anyway!), which is a great start. ;-)   If you like
> Tough Guide you should probably try Dark Lord of Derkholm, which is sort of
> based on the Tours etc. described in TG.  And Deep Secret's wonderful (and
> in print, as is Dark Lord).  Those are both adult books, btw.

I have never considered Dark Lord an adult book!  Obviously an editor somewhere
did, since it was published with th VG label, but I put it firmly in the early
teenage bracket (YA at best).

Which raises the question, what's the difference?

DL is told mainly from the boy's POV.  Broken homes are covered, as in a lot of
DWJ, but the sexual aspect takes a back seat (compare even Fire and Hemlock).
And there is nothing really sordid (like Marceny's activities in Sudden Wild
Magic) - even the gladiatorial contest is pretty tidy, and (trying to avoid a
spoiler) the sexual assault scene almost glossed-over.

Not that I am saying that an adult book has to have such features, merely that
DWJ doesn't pull her punches, and I think she would include such things for the
adult audience given the events that occur in the narrative.

Just my third of a Reul (that is what it was called, isn't it?)

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)24 76 424000