A new member/Can you recommend a DWJ book?

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Mon Jul 10 12:13:39 EDT 2000

Neil said:

***I love the imagination, the nostalgia of childhood, the twisted plotting
and the humour.  But, I have to say that DWJ's "Witch Week" made me laugh
out loud on the train, whereas Harry Potter has never made me do that.

My favorite is Simon Says - painfully funny!!  Every time I read about his
look of cunning... I have to put the book down and laugh.  It's hard to get
past that line.

I'm into hard sci-fi and 1950s-style
rocket-to-the-moon and time-travel sci-fi, but not RPG or Dungeons and
Dragons, as such.  I'm quite new to fantasy literature, but I've always been
keen on children's books.  I love the Narnia series, for example.
Basically, I like anything that has good characterisation, imaginative names
and surprises at every turn, but which remains somewhat grounded in
earth-humanity.

Oh, well then -  I recommend everything!  Boy, I wish I could get my hands
on Fire & Hemlock - lucky, lucky person.

Welcome!

Elise