A new member/Can you recommend a DWJ book?

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Jul 8 12:12:50 EDT 2000

>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm glad I've managed to locate a list for Diana Wynne-Jones!  I admit to
>being very new to her books, having only read the four Chrestomanci books,
>which were recently reprinted in the UK with those hideous covers with the
>holes in the front.
>
>I also admit that I came to DWJ via Harry Potter.  I was so fired up by
>Rowling's books that I started searching for other children's fantasy
>literature in the same vein.  I read "The Magicians of Caprona", then "Witch
>Week", "The Lives of Christopher Chant" and "Charmed Life".  After that, my
>enthusiasm for Chrestomanci was almost as great as that for Harry Potter
>(not quite, but almost there).
>
>I'm now seeking advice on what to read next, and whether it's in print!
>"Howl's Moving Castle" was mentioned in the Harry Potter Yahoo club I'm
>involved in, but anything else?  Help!!!

Hi, Neil, and welcome to the list!  You're probably going to get as many
different answers to your request for recommendations as there are people
on the list.  But you've already got Fire & Hemlock, my own personal
favourite (most days, anyway!), which is a great start. ;-)   If you like
Tough Guide you should probably try Dark Lord of Derkholm, which is sort of
based on the Tours etc. described in TG.  And Deep Secret's wonderful (and
in print, as is Dark Lord).  Those are both adult books, btw.

Howl's Moving Castle will be reprinted in October, Hexwood in November, and
Archer's Goon in December, and those are all great, but no point looking in
the new book shops for them until then.

>Basically, I like anything that has good characterisation, imaginative names
>and surprises at every turn, but which remains somewhat grounded in
>earth-humanity.

That's a great description of DWJ's writing!

>***That crossed my mind, but I feel I want to *own* DWJ's books, not borrow
>them.  I only borrow authors I'm trying cold, and I'm very warm to Diana's
>work already!  I'll take a look though, if I can't get them any other way.

There are only a few out of print which won't be by reprinted by this
December, luckily.  You chose a _wonderful_ time to discover DWJ - not that
any time would be bad...

Hallie.