Sherri S Tepper

Dzongri (Anita Graham) dzongri at admin.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 6 21:44:16 EDT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dwj at suberic.net [mailto:owner-dwj at suberic.net]On Behalf Of Erica
Sadun
Sent: Friday, 7 July 2000 3:00 AM
To: dwj at suberic.net
Subject: Re: Sherri S Tepper

>Dear all

>Just wanted to recommend Singer From the Sea by Sherri Tepper. Firsrt book
of hers I have read and it was good.

Thanks...I'll try it.

>The best stuff she's ever written is the Jinian Trilogy.  Buy, beg or
>borrow the three books if you can.  Before the Jinian Trilogy there
>were a few small gems (The Marrianne Trilogy and a bit of the Mavin
>Tirlogy) but afterward she really started on an
anti-man/anti-overpopulation>
>kick (you can see a little in Jinian, more in Mavin). Of her later
>stuff, I'd recommend Raising the Stones and Gate to Women's Country.
>The rest I'd skip.

I disagree with some of your assessments... I didn't like the Jinian books.
I do love Marianne.
For the later books I know that in some of them the overpopulation/antimale
theme becomes very obvious and outweighs the stories.

However, Grass is wonderful and so is The Family Tree. In fact, I think
these two, plus The Gate to Women's Country are three of her best.
I never did finish "Gibbon's Decline and Fall" and I haven't put the time
into "Six Moon Dance" yet.

Anita