Linotype Fonts (was: Re: Censorship)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 14:11:02 EDT 2000

> Irina:
>>Yes! Not as a kid, though, but in my twenties when I seriously
>>started buying Puffins. Some of the Narnia books, I think, and _The
>>Farthest Shore_. I think if someone had typeset something mediocre in
>>Juliana, I'd have thought it was marvellous just because of that.
>>
>>I actually like Linotype Pilgrim even more, but nothing at all is set
>>in *that*; I only base it on the sample on the poster that used to
>>hang above my desk in the office where I worked then.
>
> None of this rang any bells with me, so I had to go look at a few of my old
> Puffins.  I've my old copy of Wizard of Earthsea, and a new Puffin copy and
> both are in Linotype Pilgrim.  Still haven't come across the Juliana yet to
> compare, but I didn't check all the Narnia ones yet - the ones I looked at
> were Garamond.

IIRC, early Puffin DWJ tended to be in Juliana.  Cart and Cwidder I think was;
or you could try Wilkins' Tooth.  I also have some Nicholas Fisk in Puffin,
using that font.

I agree Juliana is a splended font - I wonder if it's available in Truetype?  I
don't know Pilgrim, though - I too will have to start searching my book
collection.  (Witch week? ;-) )  Or my parents have Puffins of the Earthsea
books...

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

PowerGen Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message.
PowerGen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

PowerGen UK plc Registered Office: 53 New Broad Street London EC2M 1SL
Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970