Censorship

Rowland, Jennifer jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 08:14:59 EDT 2000

> + A melatonically-challenged person of gender XX.

>You don't sleep easily? Melanin and melatonin... ah.

>Tanaqui

Blush. I can only claim that I was in a hurry when I wrote that.

Your email made lots of sense (sorry I snipped all of it!) I suppose
choosing what goes into a library is actually selection rather than
censorship- when does "choosing what will not be easily available to read"
become censorship? If its publication is forbidden? I take your point that
violent material does not produce violence on its own, but in a violent
society it can justify it, but I'd still say that material that presents
suffering as desirable can act to normalise it in some (?already twisted)
people's minds. (The "pornography makes men think of women as desiring rape"
argument). So I still think that it shouldn't be readily available. So the
internet should disappear....
Jennifer