Baby Announcement

Jennifer Forsyth jforsyth at equinox.unr.edu
Sun Jul 2 14:30:46 EDT 2000

>   Anyone else have a period of time, or a geographical location, they
> > really dislike?  (Is that too strange a question?)  At least I think it's
> > that time period (1830-1870 roughly).  Cause I like _Tess_ just fine, and
> > _Jane Eyre_...maybe it's modern stories set in that time period rather
> than
> > contemporary works.

Hmm. I don't think I dislike a certain period or place so much (although I do
tend to be highly critical of Renaissance period pieces), but I have started
rejecting any book based on any part of the Arthurian stories. I realize that
this isn't really logical, since I have read some I like, but in general they
seem uninspired.

Of course, as I tell my husband in the background what I'm typing, he suggests
that I have a few more prejudices than I'm letting on to in this post; he points
out that I tend not to like any modern or 20th-c. settings (to which I counter
that I like some urban fantasy; I just don't like realism), and moreover both of
us prefer stories that create their own worlds. This question is tricky because
in fact some of my favorite books, such as Teresa Edgerton's series, do create
their own worlds but also echo specific periods in our history in the flavor of
their settings.

Now as I type and I think of more and more examples of things I do and don't
like, I think I ought to give it up and admit that my tastes are a lot more
inconsistent by objective standards than they feel to me. (This comes as no
surprise to my lurking-once-removed husband, who never lets me forget the time I
backed myself into classifying Orson Scott Card's _Ender's Game_ as fantasy to
preserve a hasty overgeneralization I'd made that I didn't like any science
fiction: I liked _Ender's Game_ and didn't like science fiction; therefore,
_Ender's Game_ could not be science fiction.)

Illogically,

Jennifer