Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Mon Jan 31 19:38:25 EST 2000

It's another night of not wanting to cook dinner.  I'm procrastinating
furiously.  (And it's probably going to be the infamous processed cheese
food product sandwiches again.  Did you know that, in addition to said item
making the best grilled cheese sandwiches, the cheapest bread is also
necessary?  This is because the more expensive bread is too dense to let the
cheese melt properly before the bread is burned.  But I digress.)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 10:30:49 +1000 , PREISIG Kylie wrote:

>I'm waiting for it to come into the library for a number of reasons.
>Generally, I always like to read a book befor I buy.  Even favourite authors
>occasionally write duds, and I prefer just to check before I spend the
>money.  Of course, if it's DWJ I'll buy if before reading it, in hardback.

I have a few authors I do this with.  But mostly I want to know if it's good
before I spend money on it.  I think it's because I *collect* books in
addition to reading them, and so I don't think in terms of buying something
for a casual read.  That's what libraries are for.  :)

>Also I don't like buying hardbacks partway through a series.  And especially
>not with the Anita Blake series, where _Obsidian Butterfly_ is the first
>that has actually come out in hardback.  I'll buy it when it comes out in
>paperback so that it matches all the rest.

Oh, I so agree with you.  Like I said:  I'm pleased for Hamilton that she's
successful enough to warrant hardcover publication, but WHY in the MIDDLE of
the SERIES?!  (Also, I have a really hard time thinking of the Anita Blake
books as hardcover.)

BUT the series probably still won't match.  I don't know if they're in
overseas reprints, or if the covers are all the same lurid ones that we get
here, but I have almost never seen a case where the paperback edition of a
hardcover novel had a different cover (unless it was a reprint).  And the
new one looks totally different from the rest.  But at least it will all be
the same size....

Melissa Proffitt
(who has run out of things to say, and will therefore have to slog up to the
kitchen to feed her ungrateful brood)