Pismire - was: Re: Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Mon Jan 31 12:15:07 EST 2000

Hiya, Abigail (waves) !

> Anyone who liked "The Princess Bride" should read "One for the Morning
> Glory" by John Barnes, published in the US about four years ago.  It's
> delightful, all the more so if you have a love of words - for instance, I
> believe his characters duel one another with the fearsome weapon known as
> the "pismire".  Anyone who's not grinning should run for a dictionary.

I did - but as i only have an "Advanced Learner's Dictionary", and get
around guessing words from the context now (which leads to a large
passive vocabulary, but bad translations - I do mostly connotations
now, when asked what words mean), there's nothing between "Pisces" and
"pistachio" but "piss" ;} so please, explain!

Britta
--
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign
   X   - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail    britta at linuxchix.org