Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 31 09:21:41 EST 2000

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Abigail Gawith wrote:

[Bogwoppit]

> The edition I had (still have, but like most of my books it's still
> at my parents' house)was illustrated - maybe by Shirley Hughes - and
> the bogwoppit was depicted as being black, feathered, dumpy, and
> with a little beak.

Yes, that image sprung to mind as soon as I read "bogwoppit". I
believe you're right about Shirley Hughes.

> My taste in books doesn't seem to tally too well with most of yours.
> In the realms of fantasy and science fiction, my favourite
> contemporary authors (other than DWJ) are Barbara Hambly, Connie
> Willis, Robin Hobb, Sheri Tepper, Tim Powers, Barry Hughart,
> Rosemary Kirstein, Laurell K. Hamilton, Simon R. Green, Paula
> Volsky, David Feintuch (although I didn't care for his foray into
> fantasy) and Lois McMaster Bujold.

Any reasonable person has a long list of favourite authors, and
there's never time to mention all of them.
I count Barbara Hambly and Barry Hughart among my favourites, all my
experiences with Tim Powers have been good, one of my favourite books
ever is by Sheri Tepper, and I regret that I've never read Connie
Willis. Lois McMaster Bujold and Robin Hobb have not impressed me
greatly on our limited acquaintance, and I've never read (or heard of,
in some cases) the others.

-snip-
> "A Pack of Lies" by Geraldine McCaughrean, "Uninvited Ghosts" by
> Penelope Lively and "Hundreds and Hundreds", edited by Peter
> Dickinson, are my favourite short story collections other than the
> ones by authors already listed

I think I might have read "A Pack of Lies"; is that the one that ends
with the author disappearing, and his mother discovering the
manuscript and making some disparaging comment about the title?

-snip-
> And I also read books by Americans, or anyone else, with an English
> accent.  It startled me to read the pronunciation guide at the back
> of one of the Wheel of Time books - "Trolloc: TRAHL-loc" or
> somesuch.  Took me a moment.  :)

In a songbook someone gave me for Christmas, there's a song that
includes the lines: "Even the piano in the parlor / Father bought for
ten cents in the dollar". I can never play that one without commenting
to anyone who'll listen that the song was obviously written by an
American for an American.

> Anyone who liked "The Princess Bride" should read "One for the
> Morning Glory" by John Barnes, published in the US about four years
> ago.  It's delightful, all the more so if you have a love of words -
> for instance, I believe his characters duel one another with the
> fearsome weapon known as the "pismire".  Anyone who's not grinning
> should run for a dictionary.

In Terry Pratchett's lesser-known first novel (a heroic fantasy),
there's a wizard called Pismire...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."