Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jan 30 13:59:03 EST 2000

Kylie said anything starting with

and Abigail said things which start with

> > My taste in books doesn't seem to tally too well with most of
> > yours.  In the
> > realms of fantasy and science fiction, my favourite
> > contemporary authors
> > (other than DWJ) are Barbara Hambly, Connie Willis, Robin Hobb, Sheri
> > Tepper, Tim Powers, Barry Hughart, Rosemary Kirstein, Laurell
> > K. Hamilton,
> > Simon R. Green, Paula Volsky, David Feintuch (although I
> > didn't care for his
> > foray into fantasy) and Lois McMaster Bujold.
>
> Well, I don't know about the rest of the list, but out of the
> above authors
> I'd count Connie Willis, Robin Hobb, Sheri S. Tepper, Laurell K. Hamiliton
> and Lois McMaster Bujold as favourites or they have written at least one
> book that I really like.  So you tally reasonably well with me!

Mmm..and I'd agree with some of those too (not having read Hobb or Hamilton)

> I'd never heard of Garth Nix until Sabriel was mentioned on
> rec.arts.books.childrens, and I live in the same country as he does!

I used to have a copy of Sabriel...and I haven't been able to find it!

> I have seen _The Perious Gard_ around quite a lot in secondhand shops.

Kylie, if you see any more can you buy one for me and I will reimburse you
purchase and shipping costs...I don't think I've ever seen a copy.

> > Children's authors I love include Paul Biegel, Edward Eager,
> > Michael Ende,
I am just reliving my childhood as I read Michael Ende's "Jim Button and
Luke the Engine Driver" to my children (who always beg for just one more
chapter...)

> > A.A. Milne, Nicholas Stuart Gray, Norton Juster, Noel Langley, Cynthia
> > Voigt, Ruth Elwin(?) Harris, Joan Aiken (especially Arabel
> > and Mortimer!),
love Aiken! ...but what I intended to comment on was Ruth Elwin Harris - I
have the Quantocks Quartet, which I wouldn't classify as "childrens", but
has she written other things?

> > Paul Jennings,
All of those old enough love Round the Twist! (I think the 3yo is too young,
and the current 6 year old was too young when it was last on).

> > I graduated with a degree in Maths & Computer Science in June

I graduated with a Maths/Comp Sci degree more than 20 years ago...now that's
scary...

Anita