Book IDs (a longish delurk)

PREISIG Kylie kp027 at energex.com.au
Mon Jan 31 01:10:11 EST 2000

> My taste in books doesn't seem to tally too well with most of
> yours.  In the
> realms of fantasy and science fiction, my favourite
> contemporary authors
> (other than DWJ) are Barbara Hambly, Connie Willis, Robin Hobb, Sheri
> Tepper, Tim Powers, Barry Hughart, Rosemary Kirstein, Laurell
> K. Hamilton,
> Simon R. Green, Paula Volsky, David Feintuch (although I
> didn't care for his
> foray into fantasy) and Lois McMaster Bujold.

Well, I don't know about the rest of the list, but out of the above authors
I'd count Connie Willis, Robin Hobb, Sheri S. Tepper, Laurell K. Hamiliton
and Lois McMaster Bujold as favourites or they have written at least one
book that I really like.  So you tally reasonably well with me!

> against McCaffrey early on and I'm not sure I'd even heard of
> Garth Nix -
> and wonder if in some cases it's because they just didn't get
> published over
> here (Britain),

I'd never heard of Garth Nix until Sabriel was mentioned on
rec.arts.books.childrens, and I live in the same country as he does!  It's
easy to overlook books if there is nothing to make them stand out - there is
just so much out there.  Garth Nix is one of the ones that is worth tracking
down.

or were published as adult while I was still
> limited to a
> children's ticket at the library.  I do remember seeing The
> Perilous Gard in
> an import edition a couple of years ago, but it was expensive
> (US paperbacks
> often get their prices changed dollar-for-pound in
> bookshops), so I didn't
> buy it.

I have seen _The Perious Gard_ around quite a lot in secondhand shops.  I
don't know if it would be as common secondhand in Britain as in Australia,
but it might be worthwhile keeping an eye out.

> Children's authors I love include Paul Biegel, Edward Eager,
> Michael Ende,
> A.A. Milne, Nicholas Stuart Gray, Norton Juster, Noel Langley, Cynthia
> Voigt, Ruth Elwin(?) Harris, Joan Aiken (especially Arabel
> and Mortimer!),
> Paul Jennings, J.P. Martin, J.B.S. Haldane ("My Friend, Mr.
> Leakey") and
> William Sleator.  Then there are authors by whom I like *some* work:
> "Children of the Dust" by Louise Lawrence, although maybe
> "like" isn't the
> word, and "This Time of Darkness" and "Children of Morrow" by
> H.M. Hoover.
> (I've heard that there was a sequel to the latter, but I've
> never been able
> to find it.  Is she really still writing?  In which country?)

I haven't read much by any on this list except A. A. Milne, Joan Aiken and
H. M. Hoover.  I really used to love H. M. Hoover's books, then all of the
sudden her writing seemed to go downhill.  I gave her another go just
recently and read an adult book of hers that retold a Greek legend (can't
remember any other details offhand) and it wasn't very good.  I keep meaning
to go back and read at least some of the books she wrote after I gave up on
her, but so many books, so little time...

>  "A Pack of
> Lies" by Geraldine McCaughrean, "Uninvited Ghosts" by
> Penelope Lively and
> "Hundreds and Hundreds", edited by Peter Dickinson, are my
> favourite short
> story collections other than the ones by authors already
> listed; I have a
> fondness for the "Stories for n-year-olds" collections by
> Sara and Stephen
> Corrin too.  "Hundreds and Hundreds" included "A Plague of
> Peacocks", to
> bring it on-topic. :)

Oh good, I just bought _Hundreds and Hundreds_ for fifty cents at a booksale
as there looked like there were some great authors in there.  That glowing
recommendation has moved it even higher up my To Be Read list.

> I graduated with a degree in Maths & Computer Science in June
> and I'm now
> working as a software engineer in Cambridge, England - so
> yes, Cambridge,
> Massachusetts needs the qualifier. :)  Like Philip, I've
> never done any
> literary criticism, and I'm rather disconcerted that nearly
> all the rest of
> you have studied it.  Is it on the curriculum from an early
> age in the rest
> of the world?

Don't worry, you aren't the only person with a degree in Maths and Computer
Science on the list who has no background in literary criticism!  I did
Enlish Literature in high school, but I hated it, and we did analysis rather
than criticism.

Anyway, welcome to the particpatory side of the list!  It's great to have
you!

And hello to the lurkers out there that know me. ~waves~

Byeeee,
Kylie

Queensland, Australia