soliloquies

Nat Case hedberg at vermontel.net
Fri Jan 28 11:04:46 EST 2000

"If rules make a framework to climb around in, why not climb right out, says
the Sage of Theare"

Just to bring this back on topic... :>)

I think the audience may simply have been befuddled. I think its a shyness
thing: if you set up a performance so the audience KNOWS they're supposed to
be involved, they'll happily respond (folk music concerts, night club
dancing, etc.). If they don't expect it, it can be like a junior high dance
where nobody dances because they don't think they know HOW to dance. In
theater, you have to make it clear from the start that they will be expected
to react other than with applause and laughter, or make the punching through
of the fourth walll a kind of game (as in SKIN OF OUR TEETH). Throwing a
curveball like that can be a lot of fun, but it may also take people aback.

Nat