Changeover

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 12:45:24 EST 2000

> [insert happy attempt at griffin dance here]

:-)  I take it you got the book as a result of doing the witchy dance for luck.

> I knew already that it wasn't fantasy of any sort, but somehow, with a
> name like _Changeover_...
> ...and what it's actually like was something I don't think I'd have
> expected in a million years. What it reminds me of, more than anything
> else DWJ has written, is a novel or two by Evelyn Waugh. If it was a
> movie (and why wasn't it? I'd like to know) it would be one of those

Whenever I read it I start thinking of how I would write a screenplay from it.
Not that I have any experience of writing for cinema, it just takes me that way.
I especially love all the cuts in the chapter "in which everyone has his say"...

> starring Peter Sellers, Peters Sellers, and possibly even Peter
> Sellers. But not, I hasten to add, directed by Stanley Kubrick; DWJ
> doesn't have that kind of cynicism - something for which I will
> probably give thanks every time a new DWJ book comes out. Not that
> _Changeover_ is bad (I'm glad I tracked down this copy), but English
> literature already had people who write books like _Changeover_. It's
> never had people who write books like DWJ.
>
> I'm sorry. Did any of that make any sense at all? :)

Yes, it did.  But I'm not sure I agree with everything.  Even in Changeover I
can detect the DWJ touch, and not just in the refreshing lack of cynicism.  OK,
it's a farce rather than a comedy, but I still love it.

Philip. (Wondering why films (US: movies) so seldom include soliloquies)

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK
Tel: +44 (0)115 936 2000