"Game of Thrones" and "Clash of Kings" - with spoilers

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Wed Jan 26 04:42:27 EST 2000

Hi!

Waiting for "Fire and Hemlock and other DWJ books to arrive, I'm just
reading "Clash of Kings", the sequel to "A Game of Thrones" by George
R. R. Martin. I think it is excellent - but keep in mind that I haven't
read any recent fantasy epics, but rather stuff like DragonLance,
Forgotten Realms and Vampire: The Masquerade novels.

I like the style: Martin uses the character's names as headings for his
chapters (but they don't narrate - it's more waht happens around / to
them), even though I get annoyed when my favorite characters aren't in
the next chapter!

!
!
!

I like the fact that his charcaters don't tend to be all good or bad -
OK, there's a few heroes and villains, but most of them are just
people! And even though I despised Sansa Stark, in "Clash of Kings" she
is a little more courageous and less soppy. I do hope Arya will be OK
(she's at harrenhal right now) - I love her! And Daenerys is very cool
- even though she is still so young (I was sooo sorry for her when
Drogo died). Well, this list shows my liking for strong female
characters, but they do feel quite alive! I can't wait for the third
book now (I heard there will be 6 books).

So, if anyone wants to discuss these books (or recomend other ones like
them), I'd be glad to.

Greetz,

Britta

--