Worlds of Chrestomanci & other new DWJ titles

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 08:12:08 EST 2000

Paula, last week sometime:

> I must confess that I haven't been able to read my dwj mailbox for
> a while. It cheers me that it's there, though. I did a quick search
> and didn't find that you'd mentioned anything about The Worlds of
> Chrestomanci, due out this year some time at the amazon uk site.
> Anyone heard of it? Do you think it could be a whole new novel in
> the Chrestomanci series?
>
> I was checking the UK web site because I've decided to buy those
> Harry Potter books only from the UK (as they become available in
> soft cover - I don't have room to collect hardcovers) because of
> the weirdly random corrections of UK words to US words. Then I
> noticed the paperback version of Deep Secret still in my shopping
> cart over there (I wasn't in a hurry only because I'd already
> read it from the public library), and that DWJ's Puss in Boots
> is available there for the unlikely price of 0.8 pounds. And oh!
> They've got Dark Lord of Derkholm in paperback now, too! Published
> January 2000, it says.
>
> Another 'Not Yet Published' title is Mixed Magics. Hardcover only,
> alas. Have you heard of that one yet, anyone? I hope it's not
> just a collection of short stories. Those always seem to turn
> out to be mostly stories already seen elsewhere.

Mixed magics, eh?  Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Well, that would make _three_ new books this year, which I have difficulty
believing.

We have established, I think, that at the time of Wincon DWJ was working on a
sequel to Dark Lord.  At least one source suggests that there is to be a book
called "Year of the Griffin" which is a sequel to Dark Lord.

My guesses are:

Worlds of Chrestomanci is either a re-issue of Lives [*] or a book of short
stories.  I hope it's the latter because I've ordered it in hardback...

Mixed Magics is the UK title for Year of the Griffin.  I shall see what my tame
bookseller says about it, since I know she can't find YotG.

> Have any of the Britishisms in the DWJ books been 'translated'
> for the benefit of the US audience, as those Harry Potter books
> have been? I hope not, but if so, I want to know!

I've not heard of this being done, but OTOH I've never read a US version of a
DWJ.  I think that DWJ herself occasionally uses American spellings of some
words, although I can't remember any specific examples.  Yes I can!  Fire and
Hemlock, and Polly's doll's-house, which the narration and all the characters
except Tom call a dollhouse.

Philip.

PS Puss in Boots - the list price really is only a pound!  I figured that
postage from Amazon would cost more than the discount, so I bought it from the
bookshop.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK