Pronunciation

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Mon Jan 24 10:57:28 EST 2000

Nat:

> I'm reminded about the bit in Fire and Hemlock about the Bristolian who
> named his daughters Ida, Eva and Norma.

Famous story.  They really do speak like that!  My favourite example -
encountered by my parents - was "I don't like his altitude!" (meaning attitude,
not height, of course)

For those interested, the Bristolian dialect is documented in some detail (and
quite hilariously) in:

Krek Waiters Peak Bristle
Son of Bristle
Bristle Rides Again

All by Dirk Robson (whose real name is Derek Robinson)

(In "Son of Bristle" Robson adds to Evil, Idle and Normal three more typically
Bristolian girls' names, of which I can only remember Annal and Monocle)

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)2476 425474