Rose Daughter

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Sat Jan 22 20:06:22 EST 2000

> On 12 Jan 2000, Sarah Imholt wrote:
>
> > Irina & Sally-
> >
> > Let me know how you like ROSE DAUGHTER--I loved it.

I did get around to reading Rose Daughter and yes - I was grabbed! It's
completely different from BEAUTY... and the garden hooked me. I've written
a "garden" book myself (WINTERSPRING GARDEN) and many years ago I also did
a novel based on SLEEPING BEAUTY (A TANGLE OF ROSES) - which no-one would
publish. I was told firmly by local publishers that fairy tales were for
children and no YA or adult reader would buy it.

Hmm - why do we bother to put "SPOILERS"? It doesn't spoil a book for me if
I know what's going to happen! In fact, I like to knoe - saves me reading
too many I won't like.

Anyhow, the complicated ending reminded me a bit of DWJ's complex
untanglings - I'll have to read it 2 or 3 times to sort it out.

It's a very dense book, long paragraphs, not a lot of dialogue. I found the
sisters' names (Lionheart and Jeweltongue) a bit disconcerting - and some
of the people of Longchance had slightly "precious" (my opinion) names. Mr
Whitehand - please!!!
Though watching the circumlocutions RM went through to avoid saying "Mr
Whitehand's hands" was amusing.

I found Master Jack's appearance at the party and the old woman's
revelations of the real story a little bit like the villain who Confesses
All at the end of a TV show - you know, they were the mouthpieces to give
us information.

These quibbles aside, I enjoyed it very much. I liked the ending better
than BEAUTY's - the Beast was transformed in a much more believable way.
There was no descent on the castle by crowds of people, and Beauty will be
able to keep her beloved cottage-type life.

I would have liked to have known the Beast's name, and the merchant's, and
also I'd have liked to have known the identity of the woman and man in the
portraits. (Maybe I missed some clues here).

I think "loving gardening" isn't what's needed for this book, but a love of
the concept of the garden probably is. I'm not a great gardener - haven't
the time with writing full-time - but I have gardeners in my ancestry and I
love the "fact" of gardens. I love flowers and shrubs and trees in merry
profusion.

That's enough from me now - but yes Sarah; I was happily impressed. I had
an urge to write to R-M as soon as I'd finished her book!

Sallyo.

... "You should have telephoned."
	"I did," said Jasper. "I presume you didn't hear." He came forward to the
flowerbed and crouched on his haunches. "Limnanthus douglasii," he said,
touching the ferny leaves. "Pretty thing. I haven't seen that for years. Is
this a summer sowing?"
	"Poached egg plant," corrected Kate. "So it says on the packet. But it
self-seeded this time."
	He made a gesture of apology. "Of course. And this one is kiss-me-quick,
and there's love-in-a-mist."
	"Valerian and Nigellus," said Kate evilly.
	"And this must be--let's see--love-lies-bleeding?"
	"Bleeding hearts, actually. It's a very old variety. My grandmother grew
it in England."
	"If you two want to show off," said Aberdeen waspishly, "maybe you'll let
me pass."