Worlds of Chrestomanci & other new DWJ titles

Paula Burch pburch at bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Jan 20 17:31:00 EST 2000

I must confess that I haven't been able to read my dwj mailbox for
a while. It cheers me that it's there, though. I did a quick search
and didn't find that you'd mentioned anything about The Worlds of
Chrestomanci, due out this year some time at the amazon uk site.
Anyone heard of it? Do you think it could be a whole new novel in
the Chrestomanci series?

I was checking the UK web site because I've decided to buy those
Harry Potter books only from the UK (as they become available in
soft cover - I don't have room to collect hardcovers) because of
the weirdly random corrections of UK words to US words. Then I
noticed the paperback version of Deep Secret still in my shopping
cart over there (I wasn't in a hurry only because I'd already
read it from the public library), and that DWJ's Puss in Boots
is available there for the unlikely price of 0.8 pounds. And oh!
They've got Dark Lord of Derkholm in paperback now, too! Published
January 2000, it says.

Another 'Not Yet Published' title is Mixed Magics. Hardcover only,
alas. Have you heard of that one yet, anyone? I hope it's not
just a collection of short stories. Those always seem to turn
out to be mostly stories already seen elsewhere.

Have any of the Britishisms in the DWJ books been 'translated'
for the benefit of the US audience, as those Harry Potter books
have been? I hope not, but if so, I want to know!

(I wonder if there's another favorite author who's easier to find
in the UK than here....)

--
Paula Burch
pburch at bcm.tmc.edu