Beastly Manipulations--Was Beauty w/ spoilers

Thu Jan 20 16:31:04 EST 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:46:34 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Sorry folks, I may have let myself get a little carried away here - or more
>than a little.  But Melissa has to share some of the blame for being such a
>darned interesting <searching for the right word>
>debater/critic/reviewer/teacher :-)

Oh, sure, blame ME.  :)

>Anyway, apologies, and I'll pipe down now - although I DO have to say in my
>own defense that a good half of my favourite books/authors are either
>'78ish or much earlier.  In fact, virtually half of ME is pre-78, probably
>causing my difficulties in seeing it as another time and place.  What, I'm
>not still 20??? Stunned silence...

Did I mention Zilpha Keatley Snyder's _The Egypt Game_ and its sequel, _The
Gypsy Game_, written 30 years apart?  The two show unbelievable differences
in the author's perceptions...someone obviously got Snyder enrolled in a
consciousness-raising class somewhere along the line.  It was actually an
unpleasant difference, since I *still* don't see where _The Egypt Game_
reflects any attitudes that would be inappropriate today.

This also reminds me of the introduction to a book I have called _The Sense
and Sensibility Screenplay and Diary_ (it's the screenplay Emma Thompson
wrote for the movie, plus her filming diary and a couple of other cute
tidbits).  The person who wrote the introduction began by telling about a
college lit course she took, in which the professor had each student pick
one author and then read EVERYTHING that person had written in chronological
order without reading any critical works at all--nothing commenting on the
texts, just the stories and poems and novels and essays.  The introduction
focused on the person who chose Jane Austen, naturally, but I think it would
be utterly fascinating to do this for any author.  (Jill Wadsworth has been
doing this for DWJ.)  It might work best for an author you'd never read at
all, but in any case it would certainly point out changes in style and
philosophy.  Just a random thought.

Melissa Proffitt