A Voice From the Shadows...

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Wed Jan 19 13:22:06 EST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:05:32 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>> We had a heated debate over whether "The Love-Song of J. Alfred
>> Prufrock" was about prostitutes or not.
>
>Now, there's a theory that never even came up when we studied Eliot.
>Mind you, we didn't go in for long, rambling discussions much, which
>is a pity, because I'm *good* at long, rambling discussions and
>terrible at essays.

I have to admit that "The Love-Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is probably my
favorite poem.  I've heard the prostitute theory before, but I also argued
against it in my class.  Frankly, if it's about prostitutes, it loses a good
deal of its power.  The thing about J. Alfred is the everymanishness about
it.  And the timidity and despair and hope.

Jacob Proffitt