First names (real ones!)(long)

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Wed Jan 19 11:00:03 EST 2000

On 18 Jan, McMullin, Elise wrote:

> 	For no reason at all, just to share - my friends who have taken
> latin have said that they were told "v" was actually pronounced "w."   I
> just can't get past the idea of Julius Caesar saying "Weni Widi Wici."

Well, I learned that too - just a "w" in German is a "v" in English...
(well, in pronounciation...

> It's really hard to imagine those super tough legions all talking like the
> priest in The Princess Bride.  Hard to imagine, but worthwhile for the
> giggle factor.  Also weird to imagine that he was actually Yulius Kaysar,
> although Kaysar does sound more splendid and barbaric to me - probably it's
> some sort of linguistic ethnocentricity on my part.

I always pronounce it "Yulius Tsesar", though "caesar" is actually
supposed to be pronounced the way you wrote it - and the root word for
German "Kaiser" (= emperor) and Russian "Tsar".

Britta
--
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign
   X   - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail    britta at linuxchix.org