A Voice From the Shadows...

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 19 08:05:32 EST 2000

"Welcome," says a voice from the shadows on the other side of the
room.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Alice Jane Cooley wrote:

> We had a heated debate over whether "The Love-Song of J. Alfred
> Prufrock" was about prostitutes or not.

Now, there's a theory that never even came up when we studied Eliot.
Mind you, we didn't go in for long, rambling discussions much, which
is a pity, because I'm *good* at long, rambling discussions and
terrible at essays.

> P.P.S. I just finished rereading HMC, and I have to ask -- how many
> other people got out their calculators and divided 10 000 by 365 to
> find out exactly how old Howl is?

I do that every time I read it. :)

While on the subject of HMC, can anyone here tell us anything about
the "saucepan song"?

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."