dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #125

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Tue Jan 18 18:49:03 EST 2000

Hi, Gili - I can help with some of these;

> * Humblepuppy is the one about the ghost puppy who drowned, isn't it?

Yes. He was in a deedbox after that. in A HARP OF FISHBONES AND OTHER
STORIES

> * A story about hatching a gryphon's egg (that was part of someone's
> mantelpiece?)

Mrs Nutti's Fireplace in A HARP OF FISHBONES AND OTHER STORIES

> * A story about a teacher named January who is ambushed by hoodlums

Hope, in HARP OF FISHBONES

> * A story about a glass dragon who doesn't like eating because you can
see
> the people going down his insides. there's a glass clock in this story,
too.
> I think.

The Lost Five Minutes, in HARP OF FISHBONES

> * A story that made me cry and cry, that has something to do with a
little
> orphan girl and a public phone booth she uses to speak to the king of an
> imaginary country?

The Dark Streets of Kimball's Green - HARP OF FISHBONES

> * A story about an ogre who had a collection of princesses and was
missing
> one with a particular shade of red hair.

Not sure about this one...

> 4. A thick adult SF book, about a planet that has a whole caste of
"Flyers",
> and a young girl who wants her own wings, and eventually earns them
despite
> centuries of tradition?

Probably Martin, George R.R. and Tuttle, Lisa, Windhaven by George RR
Martin and Lisa Tuttle. I bought a copy that turned out to be damaged, with
pages missing.

Sally Odgers