Over-participation (rant, sorry)

Tue Jan 18 18:31:04 EST 2000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:04:22 -0500, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>	In one class there was this girl, with an attitude more typical of
>high school, who made fun of me for participating and sitting in the front.
>Anyway, she used to like to sit behind me on the riser above, and thwap me
>in the head with her beaded scarf, by mistake on purpose.  Unlike in earlier
>years where this would have really, really upset me - somehow I found it
>incredibly funny.  I think because I realized I was free.  Then later I
>learned that she picked a victim in each of her classes (I got to talking
>with another victim) and that was even more funny, although sad for her.
>It's the worse for her to go through life being harsh to people like that.

Oh, wow, how incredibly strange!  Poor girl.  Reminds me of a roommate I had
my freshman year; she grew up with a father who lived for the military and
apparently was very strict.  The first time I met her she was wearing dark
glasses and was extremely cool to the rest of us.  Later she explained that
her father had taught her to go into situations with an unfriendly attitude,
because you could always become friendly later if the people turned out to
be okay, but it was harder to back off if you started out friendly.  I guess
he never heard the thing about first impressions.  :)  Anyway, she was a
very lonely person, though I didn't realize it at the time.

But wouldn't that just make a great element in a story?  Huh?  Maybe
something in a DWJ novel, I think...

Melissa Proffitt