Beauty

Tue Jan 18 18:19:31 EST 2000

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:48:19 -0500, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>	Melissa said:

>	"The truth of this gets proven to me all the time--from this
>discussion, to
>> the recent critique of a story I wrote from a person who simply didn't get
>> what I was doing.  (If she'd been the only one who'd ever read it, I might
>> have assumed I was being unclear, but from other feedback I became aware
>> that she just doesn't do subtletly well.  Also she didn't know what a
>> "copse" was--wanted me to change it to "corpse" or something.)"

>	It seems weird that she would want you to change it instead of
>looking it up herself first.  It's not like changing copse to corpse would
>suddenly make the whole story leap into sharp relief, although it certainly
>introduces a potentially sinister note ;).

It's not really as weird as it seems.  She's--to put it politely--extremely
unsubtle.  The impolite phrase would be dumb as a stick.  :)  Well, that's
an exaggeration; she's not stupid, just not very widely read, I think.  So
she's not used to reading stories that don't lay everything out for the
reader.  Like, for example--this is a story about aliens visiting Earth, and
I never came right out and said what country they were visiting; I expected
the reader to figure it out from context.  (I'm sure all you DWJ readers
would have gotten it...)  And she didn't.  Actually, her comments fit
perfectly with everything I've read by her--all MY comments on HER stories
were along the lines of "this is just too obvious"!  So it's a case of two
different writing styles.  I'm actually thinking it could help both of
us--me keep her from being too overt, and her pointing out when I get too
obscure.

Anyway, my biggest concern was that I've just joined this writing group
she's in, and I wasn't sure how to handle the fact that I'm just not
planning to incorporate any of her suggestions...but it's all worked out
fine.

But yes, I would have assumed she'd look up the stinkin' word FIRST.

Melissa Proffitt