dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #125

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 12:37:57 EST 2000

I know I'm a little slow responding, but did somebody (Sally?) mention
"Humblepuppy" as one of their favorite short stories?
Yes! Yes! Where was this published?!!

I read a collection of Joan Aiken stories years and years ago - I couldn't
have been more than ten because the book belonged to my friend Jessica who
wasn't that close a friend later on. Images from some of the stories have
been indelibly printed in my memory, but what I would really like is to
reread these stories, and I can't find them *anywhere*.

Here's what I remember:

* Humblepuppy is the one about the ghost puppy who drowned, isn't it?
* A story about hatching a gryphon's egg (that was part of someone's
mantelpiece?)
* A story about a teacher named January who is ambushed by hoodlums
* A story about a glass dragon who doesn't like eating because you can see
the people going down his insides. there's a glass clock in this story, too.
I think.
* A story that made me cry and cry, that has something to do with a little
orphan girl and a public phone booth she uses to speak to the king of an
imaginary country?
* A story about an ogre who had a collection of princesses and was missing
one with a particular shade of red hair.

It's maddening how I remember bits so clearly, but not remember the overall
plot of the story at all. I remembered both "Power of Three" and "Drowned
Ammet" like that for years until I got hold of another copy. I had read both
of them as library books, but for some reason the library they were from no
longer had them, so it was years between when I first read them somewhere
between ages seven and ten, to when I finally got my own copies in London
after graduating from highscool...

Anyway, if someone could tell me which collection these Joan Aiken stories
are from, I'd be very grateful!

Come to think of it, I'd also like to reread the following books I read
years and years ago, and don't remember the name of the book or the author:

1. This book may have been a little like a non-horror version of "Gremlins".
About a boy who befriends a cute ratlike creature in an old house... and
later finds some tadpoles that grow into more of these ratlike
creatures...??

2. A book that starts with someone's brother volunteering for a trick in a
magician's act at some birthday party, and the brother dissappears for good?
Not "Tommyknockers". A kid's book. Maybe has to do with a whole community of
people living inside a darkened store?

3. SF about a girl whose father designs a computer that takes over the
entire city? Her dog dies?

4. A thick adult SF book, about a planet that has a whole caste of "Flyers",
and a young girl who wants her own wings, and eventually earns them despite
centuries of tradition?

I read all these books half a lifetime ago, and haven't the slightest idea
how to relocate them. Perhaps some of you amazingly well-read people with
tastes similar to mine will be able to assist?

Thanks!

Gili