Pronunciation

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Mon Jan 17 20:31:09 EST 2000

> I really don't know much about linguistics, just one really good college
> course (from an Australian man who taught us a quick-and-dirty trick to
tell
> a New Zealander from an Australian)

Yeah! You ask 'em to say "six". If it comes out as "sucks" you've got a
dinki-di Kiwi!  If it's "sicks" you've got an Aussie.

My evil father used to know a Kiwi waitress and always encouraged her to
say "seven and suxpence" for his amusement.

THE STORY OF ENGLISH actually says Aussies can't tell a Kiwi from an Aussie
and will ask "which part of the country they're from"... I think that's
rubbish. I can tell one at fifty paces. A few Aussie mainlander colleagues
aren't too sure about me though... I caught several people in Wagga Wagga
laying bets as to my actual birthplace after I did a lecture there. they
seemed to come down in favour of "born in Ireland, arrived in Australia as
a child". They were wrong. My great great grandmother was the closest Irish
one! I was born in Tasmania to an ex-school teacher mother and farmer
father in Tasmania, and sent to elocution lessons for a couple of years.

 probably have gone the same route.
> (On this same note, here in America we had Donald Regan who I think was
> Secretary of State or at least some kind of government bigwig, and his
last
> name was pronounced REE-gan.  Helpful, since he worked for Ronald
RAY-gan.)

I watched THE 12 MONKEYS last night. The "Reilley" heroine was pronounced
"Reelly" whereas I would certainly have said "R-eye-ly".

> >* Raederle
> >
> >Loved the McKillip anecdote, whoever posted it!  I can see that Britta
might
> >just see a straight German spelling there, but I will admit to saying
REH-dairl

I'd have said Ray-derl

> Oh, me too!  I have the hardest time with that actor Ralph Fiennes.
Every
> time I read _Lives of Christopher Chant_ I say Uncle Ralph's name
correctly
> maybe the first three times, then it's back to Ralph with an L.

The spelling "Rafe" is sometimes used. I think that's legit, too.

Sallyo.
“Yearling bulls are so very, very dangerous... if you happen to be a blade
of grass.”  Alister McKenzie (KISSING COUSINS
http://www.fictionworks.com/ekissingcousins.htm)