Beauty

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Mon Jan 17 17:54:16 EST 2000

 yes, this is exactly how I feel.  I have always adored _Beauty_,
 and I know it is for two reasons:

 . when I first read it, I was impressed with how the "evil"
 sisters were made good without changing anything they said just
 by adding irony.

 . I love the description of the desk with the pigeonholes,
 paper, and ink in her room in the beast's palace.

 This was entirely a gut reaction, that lasted.
 But I think McKinley (unlike DWJ) specifically writes what she
 loves, so if you love it too, you love her books.  Which  worked
 for me with most of her books, but not with _Rose Daughter_,
 because I don't love what she loves in that book.  She doesn't
 make you love it, you already have to in order to share her
 love.

 -deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
Glory be to God for dappled things 	-- G. M. Hopkins