The Count of Monte Cristo

Tarja Rainio tarja.rainio at helsinki.fi
Mon Jan 17 05:06:26 EST 2000

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:02:07 -0700, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>>I admit it.  I read the unabridged version and I was HAPPY about it.  I
>>know, it's more intellectual to read Dumas without a single word missing,
>>and I do know people who prefer it that way...well, I didn't like Dickens
>>either.  Oh well.
>
>Oops, I mean ABRIDGED.  Duh.

I've only read Dumas in a Finnish translation which was probably abridged.
That is no problem, because I don't know know what I would miss from the
original. My problem was with the tv adaptation which seemed to follow the
book fairly closely, but then completely ignored in in a few major points.

The first major change was, that they introduced a French noblewoman as
Monte Christo's love interest (instead of Haidee (?)) while he was working
on his revenge. They seemed a fairly happy couple and he seemed to love
her, but in the last episode of the series he just throws her aside and
goes after Mercedes, his old love. The episode ends in them walking happily
down the beach in Algeria and living happily ever after.

I think the point in Dumas's book's conclusion was, that  Mercedes and and
Edmond Dantes had grown apart during the intervening years. Dantes realised
that he couldn't go back, it just would not have been the same and went on
with his life, while in this tv series he ignores the future and embraces
the past.

I'm not always this annoyed with changes in books and I hope the above
clarifies why I felt so betrayed by this particular series. If they would
have continued on the line they had chosen with the Frenchwoman, I would
have been satisfied, but to completely ignore what they had already brought
into being and just going in a completely different direction was unfair to
the viewer's expectations and to the continuity of the story itself.

Tarja