First names (real ones!)(long)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jan 16 19:30:08 EST 2000

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Irina Rempt wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
> > That's what I say. Though Tegan Jovanka from Doctor Who was
> > Australian, I've never actually met an Aussie Jovanka. It sounds
> > Scandinavian to me.
>
> Slavic, in fact. It's Macedonian/Bulgarian for "Joanne".

The story goes that the character was going to be called either
"Tegan" or "Jovanka", but they hadn't decided which, so the character
outline was sent out to be typed up with "Tegan/Jovanka" in the
relevant places. It came back with "Tegan Jovanka" typed instead, so
they decided to stick with that.

Something like that, anyway.

Paul
--