First names (real ones!)(long)

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Sun Jan 16 10:00:34 EST 2000

>a lot more than Sally and I probably do (and assuming we both speak fairly
standard >Australian English).

I speak Standard - the Tasmanian variety - where the Irish "oi" sound gets
insinuated into our "eye" sound.
Where were you born, Anita? If you're a Sydneyite of the Educated Classes
you probably sound more Cultivated than I do. Sometimes I hear Syndey/Uni
accents and they come over almost as British RP.
And when I speak to an English editor - oh dear! I imagine the poor lady
wincing every time I open my mouth! It isn't cultural cringe, exactly, just
that I can "hear" how flat my accent probably seems to her.

BTW, I was listening to a female polli on TV tonight and I realised with a
bit of a start that she was speaking "Broad" - or very close to it!

For the benefit of the non-Aus people here, "Broad" Australian is the one
you probably associate with Paul Hogan in his "Crocodile Dundee" role.
"Standard" is what most of the people on the soap "Neighbours" speak. So
does actor Bryan Brown. "Cultivated" is more like BBC English to our ears,
though the English themselves probably wouldn't think so!

Wouldn't it be fun if we could all get together - along with DWJ of course
- and thrash out some of these matters in person?

Sallyo.
The local shrubs were wilful and prickly and not to be trifled with.
(R.O.L.)