First names (real ones!)(long)

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 16 07:03:41 EST 2000

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:19:53 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
> >The name that always bothered me was Piemur. Is that PIE-mer or PIE - EE -
> >mer?
>
> I vote for PIE-mer.  Not that I get a vote.

I've always pronounced it PEE-e-moor, but then I don't have any
variant of English as my mother language.

> >Even our daughter Tegan gets mispronounced and misspelled half the time. We
> >say "TEE-gan" to echo "Megan", but I've been informed that it ought to be
> >"TAY-gan" to echo "Regan".

Strange, my intuition is to say TEE-gan, MEH-gan (as if it's spelt
Meggan) and REE-gan.

> >how about "Buddug"? I have no idea how that one
> >sounds.

"Bithig", with  the "th" of "then". It means 'victory' in Welsh.

> In the movie "Cold Comfort Farm" the actress who plays the young Ada Doom
> (who saw something NASTY in the woodshed) is named Myfanwy.  That's sort of
> ugh to the eye, but it probably sounds better than it looks.

mer-VAHN-wee.

> Not being a Greek speaker, but knowing the alphabet, it's probably "klamis"
> (I think the chi is normally an aspirated K rather than soft CH.  How's that
> for sounding educated without having any real knowledge?  I learned how to
> do it from Jacob, who is an Expert.)

I think you're right, though I learned to pronounce Greek chi as the
'ch' of 'loch' (is that what you mean by "soft CH"?).

   Irina

irina at rempt.xs4all.nl (myself) - http://valdyas.conlang.org (Valdyas)
        http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (home)