welshness

jessie shelton at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Sat Jan 15 23:32:00 EST 2000

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:19:53 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
> >The name that always bothered me was Piemur. Is that PIE-mer or PIE - EE -
> >mer?
>
> I vote for PIE-mer.  Not that I get a vote.

I always pronounced it PIE-mer too.  It was a durn odd name though, I
always thought.

> >To get to Welsh names again; Nerys is one I like, and Bronwen, Adara,
> >Cordelia, Seren, Taryn and Isolde.  Guinevere has unfortunate connotations
> >for some people, but how about "Buddug"? I have no idea how that one
> >sounds. It's a Welsh form of Victoria, but I can't imagine any non-Welsh
> >speaker using it for a daughter, however it might sound.

Welsh u is in the Southern dialects about the same as i, and in the
northern dialects more like the french u.  So Southern 'Buddug' would
sound like 'bithig', where that's a voiced th, that is, like the one in
'clothing' rather than the one in 'cloth'.

note though that mutation rules in Welsh mean that in a lot of contexts
that name will be spelt and pronounced 'bithic', with a c at the end.

I always liked Sioned and Arianllyn, but the guys to my mind always got
the best of it: Maredudd (anglicised to Meredith), Emrys... um, I'm
blanking here.  oh well.  blame finals.

> In the movie "Cold Comfort Farm" the actress who plays the young Ada Doom
> (who saw something NASTY in the woodshed) is named Myfanwy.  That's sort of
> ugh to the eye, but it probably sounds better than it looks.

The first y is what's called an obscure y, that is, it's essentially a
schwa (think: the noncommittal vowel sound that's in the second half of
Piemur's name).  The f is pronounced as a v.  The 'wy' is more or less a
diphthong: technically it's just saying oo-ee really fast, but actually it
comes out like wee, as in little.  So: muh-VAN-wee.

I think it's a pretty name.  I also think it looks nice, but then I've
been a cymryphile for ages now.

> >A case in point is the Greek cloak called a "chlamys". I can spell it, but
> >how the 'flippin' 'eck do I pronounce it? I guessed it as "K-lammis', but I
> >might be wildly wrong. Any clues, oh educated ones?
>
> Not being a Greek speaker, but knowing the alphabet, it's probably "klamis"
> (I think the chi is normally an aspirated K rather than soft CH.  How's that
> for sounding educated without having any real knowledge?  I learned how to
> do it from Jacob, who is an Expert.)

greek ch is the sound I call 'hard ch' which is the same sound as in bach
or loch.  I think.

back to finals
jessie
the overeducated