First names (real ones!)(long)

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Sat Jan 15 22:44:02 EST 2000

> I vote for PIE-mer.  Not that I get a vote.

Yes, I think that's probably right.  (Please not the query at the end of
this missive!)

> pronunciation.  The ones from the book are based on phonetics, yours on
> actual words

Ah yes, but the book claims they're *not* based on phonetics! That's what
confused me. It makes quite a thing of not needing to know phonetics
because they use spelled-out probnunciations.  "Mah" to me is pronounced
just like "mar" or  and "per" to me is just like "purr" (as in cats).

> Hey, wait a minute!  The authoritative source of Doctor Who says TEE-gan.
> Hah.  :)

That's what I say. Though Tegan Jovanka from Doctor Who was Australian,
I've never actually met an Aussie Jovanka. It sounds Scandinavian to me.

> (who saw something NASTY in the woodshed) is named Myfanwy.  That's sort
of
> ugh to the eye, but it probably sounds better than it looks.

My-van-oo-wee, but said quickly! That's the way Susan Cooper's rules imply!
Probably more like "My-van-wee".

> >A case in point is the Greek cloak called a "chlamys". I can spell it,
but
> >how the 'flippin' 'eck do I pronounce it? I guessed it as "K-lammis',
but I
> >might be wildly wrong. Any clues, oh educated ones?
>
> Not being a Greek speaker, but knowing the alphabet, it's probably
"klamis"
> (I think the chi is normally an aspirated K rather than soft CH.

Yes, it is. As in Chloris and Charis.

How's that
> for sounding educated without having any real knowledge?  I learned how
> do it from Jacob, who is an Expert.)

> The one book where I got every name totally wrong was David Farland's
> Runelords series.  Shoot, now I can't remember the names...anyway, in
that
> case I was talking to a friend of mine who was in Farland's writing
group,
> and he said all the accents are on the second syllables--counterintuitive
as
> far as I was concerned.  Oh well.  I'm avoiding things again, like
housework
> and dinner.

I think it's probably a writer's duty to give some kind of clue in the body
of the novel or else in a footnote or forward.

Susan Cooper does it for "Bran", telling the reader, as Bran himself
explains to Will, that "it isn't like the cereal, but a longer "a"."  DWJ
does it for Chrestomanci, too.

Now to the query I mentioned at the top;

My current fantasy in progress (well, one of them -g-) has a heroine named
Farran.

That's easy to say and spell, and it's based on my original surname
(Farrell). I really believed I'd made it up, but now I find, quite by
accident that two other Ausrtalian fantasy writers are *also* writing books
with that name, or something like it! One is "Farran" for a male, the other
"Farren" for a male. Names aren't copyright, and we three writers have only
met very recently, but I'd still rather like to change my girl's name... if
only because my publisher is notoriously sl-o-o-w and the other ladies'
books will probably come out first. I don't want to look as if I've copied
them!

I've tried the rhyme game, but Garron was used by Doctor Who, Marren by
Stargate SG1, Taran by Lloyd Alexander, Barren is a word, Darren, Karen,
Warren, Sharon, etc are real names.

How does Sarrell sound to you lot? And have you met it in any other books?
Other possibilities are Patricka and Farrell itself - probably with a
feminine ending. Farrella, say.

For the record, I don't usually name characters after myself (Odgers is a
difficult name to play with) but this book is full of my writing friends'
surnames; it's a special project I started after a bunch of us were dropped
when a publisher folded. The ladies who "star" as villains are delighted.

Finally, can anyone turn Odgers into a feminine sounding name? I suppose I
could translate it to Wealth Spear and back again - Goldblade or some such?

Sallyo.
“It was not raining and the thunder was far away across the years.”
(FOOL’S GOLD, DSP 2000)