collated comments: favorite authors (LONG!)

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sat Jan 15 21:35:09 EST 2000

In a message dated 1/15/00 2:40:15 PM, hallieod at indigo.ie writes:

<< >Sherwood Smith - Becca
>---Sarah: I found her two CROWN books too predictible to enjoy very
>much.-Sarah >>

I rather enjoyed Court Duel, but Crown Duel kept having me wanting to smack
the little narriator upside the head. To me the most irritating sequence was
where she is trying to escape home cross country without being caught and
ends up in the same town as the tyrant king and his hangers-on.

She watches him swaning about for a while and gets throughly pissed off. So,
what does she do then but try to pay him back by stealing his horse and
making a spectacale of herself galloping it through the market square. And
this little broad is supposed to be what? A Countess, or Duchess or
something? Duchess of where? Hazard County? She acted like an ignorant little
hillbilly with neither manners nor conduct. Or, apparantly, common sense.

I much prefered the Wren trilogy.