First names (real ones!)

Fri Jan 14 21:37:36 EST 2000

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 11:21:54 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>I'm not too sure of these pronounciations;
>
>Tell -AIR - ee ? Is that right? el-AIN?
>> Teleri Elayne

>How wrong am I?

Those are all right.  We pronounce it TEL-er-ee but yours is the actual
Welsh pronunciation.  In the first place, we had learned that ours is an
acceptable alternate pronunciation, and secondly, I figured no one would
EVER say it the traditional way.  Of course that's the guess everyone makes.

>Incidentally, even people who make up the fantasy names aren't always the
>last word on the way they sound. I invented ShuMar for one of my books; I
>pronounced him "shu-MAR" but my editor insisted it must be "SHU-mar".

I heard Patricia McKillip speak at a symposium once.  In the "Meet the
Writer" session someone asked "so just how *do* you pronounce Raederle?"
She said "I've always pronounced it Red-erl, but I've been told I'm wrong."

Melissa Proffitt