First names (real ones!)

Fri Jan 14 15:44:10 EST 2000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:40:38 -0500 (EST), deborah wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Jacob Proffitt wrote:
>
>|Elayne comes from the Wheel of Time series and has the added advantage of
>|being like my mother's name (Elaine).
>|
>|Aerin Aviendha
>|Aerin is from Robin McKinley's "Hero and the Crown" (I think.  Suddenly I'm
>|not so sure)
>|Aviendha comes from the Wheel of Time series and goes well with Aerin.
>
>I can't imagine liking the Wheel of Time books -- or any of the
>women in them -- enough to name a child after them.  On the other
>hand, they're both pretty names.  And Teleri and Aerin are such
>good names.

Well, we like the series.  It's fallen on hard times...disappointing, and I
hate when something I'm enjoying goes off-course.  And it really is less a
case of memorializing the characters than that the names sound good.  (We're
not naming them after any villains, though, just in case.)  Fantasy and SF
are usually good sources for unusual but real-sounding names (as opposed to
the made-up ones people come up with.)  We've pretty much run out of Robert
Jordan names that we like enough to use.  Aerin was almost Aerin Eilonwy but
we couldn't agree on pronunciation.

>Rhys has always been one of my faves.

We have trouble with people mispronouncing Teleri and Rhys's names, but less
with Rhys.  And have had very positive reactions in general.

>Steven Brust named one of his kids after one of his own
>characters (Aliera), one after a Zelazny character (Corwin), and
>one a name very similar to one of his own characters (Rozsa).
>Interestingly, while the fictional Aliera, Corwin, and Roczsa
>were all extremely cool, they were also (respectively) a
>bloodthirsty member of an elite caste; a different bloodthirsty
>member of a different elite caste, and a carrion-eating reptile,

I always wondered how the kids felt about that.  At least he didn't name any
of them Sethra. :)  We found that somehow our children started exhibiting
characteristics of the people we named them after, almost from birth
(certainly before they're old enough to know anything about the characters).
So we're being cautious--just in case.

Melissa Proffitt