Naylor and Snyder

Fri Jan 14 15:34:31 EST 2000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:02:28 -0500, Nat Case wrote:

>Snyder:I love The Egypt Game, but my favorite of hers is Black and Blue
>Magic. As I recall from rereading years ago, some of it feels dated, and
>some of the kid characterizations are a little too "aaaw-shucks" for me, but
>the premises and the plot lines are really well done.

I've liked almost all her books.  The only one I disliked was the sequel to
_Egypt Game_, _The Gypsy Game_.  Her early books treat subjects like divorce
and racial issues very subtly and appealingly, but this sequel was like a
bludgeon.  Disappointing.  She has a real skill for telling a story.

When I first read Snyder's books, they were already about ten years old or
more, so it was like getting a glimpse of the recent past.  I wonder now if
they will appeal to my kids when they're the right age for them, or if they
will just be incomprehensible.

Melissa Proffitt