HM Hoover

Thu Jan 13 23:59:55 EST 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:15:15 -0500, Loehr, Mallory wrote:

>I love Hoover and THIS TIME OF DARKNESS is probably her best (I can finish
>it and reread right away). I call it "social science fiction" because its
>not about science so much as how it will affect people (and groups of
>people). Actually ORVIS is pretty great too. She's still around and writing
>about a book a year but she really hasn't been marketed at all so I don't
>know how anyone finds her stuff.

I don't know why _Darkness_ hasn't been reprinted yet.  It's in my very
short list of "books I would buy a caselot of if I could travel back in
time."  EVERYONE who reads this is desperate to get their hands on it--hence
the scarcity, I suppose.  I agree about _Orvis_.  I have about three or four
of her other books--not as good.

>In the interesting sci-fi writers category
>for YA, I think of her and Louise Lawrence and Monica Hughes.

Monica Hughes is wonderful!  Just got _Keeper of the Isis Light_
recently...still very good after all these years.  Read _Invitation to the
Game_ for my YA lit class, and wanted to tell the story myself...so many
things I wanted to see her do, but then it wouldn't have been YA any more, I
think.  Seems she writes for the younger end of the spectrum.  Only read one
Louise Lawrence and it bugged me, so I need to find more of her stuff and
see if it's endemic or just that one book...I guess the latter.

>  I think I'll hunt up some of the jean Karl titles.
>I actually never read her stuff...thx!

One of the premises of her universe is that humans develop psi abilities,
specifically the ability to transport themselves instantly light-years
across space.  In _But We Are Not of Earth_ the government has restricted
this through technological means, sort of like stringing up fences across
space, so that people have to work together to move ships rather than just
go jaunting wherever they feel like it.  Her stuff is a great introduction
to ideas about personal freedom, individuality, creativity, and how
civilizations keep from going sterile and dead.  When I was a kid, I wanted
to be an Explorer orphan like the ones in the book (before I realized that
this would necessitate my parents' death....)

Melissa Proffitt