HM Hoover

Loehr, Mallory mloehr at randomhouse.com
Thu Jan 13 18:15:15 EST 2000

I love Hoover and THIS TIME OF DARKNESS is probably her best (I can finish
it and reread right away). I call it "social science fiction" because its
not about science so much as how it will affect people (and groups of
people). Actually ORVIS is pretty great too. She's still around and writing
about a book a year but she really hasn't been marketed at all so I don't
know how anyone finds her stuff. In the interesting sci-fi writers category
for YA, I think of her and Louise Lawrence and Monica Hughes. Also
whatshername Farmer who wrote THE EAR, THE EYE, AND THE ARM (a flawed but
very interesting book).  I think I'll hunt up some of the jean Karl titles.
I actually never read her stuff...thx!