Books in Series/ Anne McCaffrey

Thu Jan 13 18:04:46 EST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:30:49 -0500, Loehr, Mallory wrote:

>Rumor has it that she doesn't allow anyone to edit her anymore.
>Interestingly enough, what I think are her strongest books (the Dragonsong
>trilogy) were edited by a children's book editor, Jean Karl,  for a YA
>audience...

Jean Karl has written a number of books herself, my favorite being _But We
Are Not of Earth_.  Her stuff (what I've read of it) is of the same flavor
as other YA writers of her time, similar to what H.M. Hoover did--didn't
someone mention her?  As long as I'm on the subject, I'm excited because I
finally got a copy of Hoover's _This Time of Darkness_, possibly her most
popular book and certainly the hardest to come by....

Actually, in a sense these writers are doing in SF what DWJ did in YA
fantasy at the same time--use the accepted forms of the genre in a new way,
with emphasis on character and human interaction.

Melissa Proffitt