collated comments: favorite authors (LONG!)

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Thu Jan 13 12:57:42 EST 2000

At the risk of seeming to overparticipate...

Tarja wrote:

> BTW, just finished reading Heyer's A Civil Contract yesterday and thought
> to share with you, that I thought it an extremely well-thought out
> depiction of an arranged marriage and how people in such a union could come
> to respect and care for each other gradually without all the fireworks that
> are associated with love-marriages.

Yes, this is the nearest Heyer comes to what I call the
romance-within-marriage-of-convenience subgenre (although in Adam's case it
seems more of a marriage of desperation).  I get the impression that Jenny had
when younger had a crush on Adam when he was visiting Julia during his
convalescence.  To me the nicest touch is the way GH makes it clear what a
disaster it would have been if Adam had married Julia.

May I take the opportunity to recommend the fantasy novel "Bright and Shining
Tiger" by Claudia J Edwards as my favourite
romance-within-marriage-of-convenience.  I mentioned this in my original
de-lurk, and someone kindly responded with the titles of other CJE stories, none
of which I have yet tracked down :-(

Philip

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.